Isolation Turkey (for one or two)
There is no doubt, 2020 was a crazy year! We will all be happy to turn a corner when 2021 arrives! So to help make that happen, and because COVID is not showing any signs of slowing down in its own, we’d like to encourage everyone to celebrate the holidays — but do it responsibly!
That’s why the King Bee created a recipe for “Isolation Turkey” to help you enjoy the holidays by yourself, with those closest to you, or your immediate family.
This recipe for brining a small bird before roasting is perfect for those keeping to themselves this year.
Stay safe, stay healthy and look after each other.... from a distance.
- 1 cornish game hen or small chicken
- 1 15 kg bucket or large bowl
- 1 cup course sea salt
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup African Bronze Honey (summer or winter harvest)
- 2 litres warm water
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion (any way you like it)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped garlic
- No salt organic seasoning, pepper as a rub before roasting
- Add the sea salt, brown sugar and honey to the bucket or bowl and mix together with the water until dissolved
- Add the onions, and garlic to the honey mixture
- Submerge the bird in the water and cover it
- Let it brine in the fridge for 24 hours
- Remove the bird from the fridge, drain it and place it in a roasting pan. Let it warm up to almost room temperature
- Rub "No salt organic seasoning" over the bird and place in a roasting pan
- Roast the bird in a preheated oven (325ºF) for about 1 hour or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 165º F
- Remove the bird from the oven and let it rest (covered) for about 10 minutes.
- The result will be easy to carve, moist, tender and delicious
- Serve with cranberry sauce made with African Bronze Honey and grated orange zest